Geylang International FC

Match Report: Geylang International 1-1 Tanjong Pagar United


Geylang International’s series of matches with the teams from the bottom half of the table kicked off with a stalemate at the Bedok Stadium, with spoils shared in a 1-1 draw with Tanjong Pagar United.

With the aim of “finishing as high as possible” the main agenda set by head coach Jorg Steinebrunner, the Eagles started the match looking like a side with a point to prove. In just the first minute, opposition goalkeeper Aurélien Hérisson had to be alert as Leonel Felice got his head to a Mustaqim Manzur free-kick, but fortunately for the goalkeeper, Leonel’s effort was weak.

The Eagles continued to pour forward with Hafiz Nor at the forefront of the action. The winger, who will be lacing up his boots for action in the annual Sultan of Selangor Cup match, wreaked havoc down the right flank. It was one such move that almost resulted in the opener. Bamboozling his way past three players,Hafiz squared the ball into the box to find Aliff Shafaein. But the forward failed to get a convincing touch on the ball.


Mustaqim Manzur then came close as he was put through by Aliff Shafaein. The winger’s shot though was saved excellently by the Jaguars’ custodian for a corner.

The home side were desperate for a goal and pushed on in search of the elusive goal but in cruel fashion, found themselves concede the opening goal in a moment of controversy.

A harmless cross from the right flank was inadvertently steered towards goal by Geylang goalkeeper Siddiq Durimi. The custodian looked to have avoided calamity by just about keeping the ball off the line. The linesman disagreed and the goal was given, to the sheer delight of the Jaguars.

It didn’t take long for the Eagles to peg the Jaguars back as Leonel Felice levelled terms almost immediately. A brilliant freekick from Mustaqim Manzur resulted in Aurélien Hérisson fumbling the ball. The Argentinian was on hand to net the equaliser and what was his 11th goal of the season.

Both teams went into the break level, with the Eagles probably feeling hard done by after a half of domination.

The second half saw more of the same from the Eagles, with Shah Hirul and Franco Chivilo coming close on separate occasions only to be denied by an in form Hérisson.

The Eagles will next face Woodlands Wellington at the Jalan Besar Stadium on Friday, 3 October.



Join us on Facebook

Like Us

Follow us on Twitter