Geylang International FC

Home United 7 – 3 Geylang United


19 July 2012 – Last evening at the Bishan Stadium, the Eagles shipped in 7 goals against the 2011 runner-ups Home United. The scoreline was rather flattering for the hosts though, after GUFC conjured up some excellent football.

The Eagles started brightly and only needed 6 minutes to open the scoring through Jozef Kaplan. Zul’s shot from range was blocked and it resulted in a massive scramble in the Protector’s penalty box. Mun Seung Man then managed to pick up the loose ball on the right side and unleashed a neatly placed cross to Kaplan. A clinical finisher, Kaplan shot hard and straight. The ball then deflected off Matsuri into Nazri Sabri’s goal to put the visitors 1-0 up.

On 28 minutes, Michael King linked up well with Jozef Kaplan playing a neat 1-2 to release himself into the opponent’s penalty box. King then drilled his shot into the left corner but Protector’s keeper, Nazri Sabri, managed to push the ball out for a corner instead.

A minute later, it was the hosts’ turn to commence an attack. A brilliant cross from the left side of attacking third found Shi Jia Yi unmarked in the penalty box. With a delicate first touch, the international managed to keep the ball in control. However, his finishing would fail him as he could only blast his shot into the right side netting.

It didn’t stop there. This time, a long punt from the Home United’s midfield resulted in the ball finding French striker Fredric Mendy in the penalty box. However, he made a mistake by letting the ball bounce and as a result, Khayrulhayat robbed him off possesion to maintain Eagles’ 1-0 lead.

On 32 minutes, Stefan Milojevic made the same mistake after a brilliant cross by Khairulnizam found him at the edge of the box. Instead of controlling the ball first time, Stefan allowed the ball to bounce and Nazri Sabri did well to grab the ball in the air.

Then disaster struck… Firdaus Idros, without being a significant attacking threat, somehow tripped over one of GUFC’s defenders and the referee pointed to the spot without hesitation. His decision left the stadium bewildered. Nevertheless, Qiu Li stepped up well and sent Yazid Yasin the wrong way to put the score at 1-1.

In the 41st minute, the Eagles restored their lead when Khayrulhayat did well from a Khairulnizam’s corner to fire a close-range shot into the goal to send the Eagles’ fans to euphoria. This was also Khayrulhayat’s first senior goal for the club after joining GUFC 2 weeks ago.

Soon, the half-time whistle blew and the Eagles then went in to the second half with a 2-1 lead over the Protectors.

The Protectors then came out of the second half with all guns blazing.

In the 50th minute, a cross from the left found Home United’s attacking midfielder Shotaro Ihata totally unmarked. He then launched a powerful header into the top corner which Yazid Yasin could only parry into the goal.

5 minutes later, Idros, who has earlier won his side a penalty in the first half, provided the assist for the second goal after a perfectly timed cross found Qiu Li in the penalty box with the goal glaring. He made no mistake and slotted the ball first-time past the hapless Yazid Yasin.

Then…it was the Fredric Mendy show.

Till then, Fredric Mendy was fading in the shadows, unable to make much of an impact. It all changed from the 67th minute.

Pushing for an equaliser, the Eagles pushed high and hard with wing backs Ang Zhi Wei and Khairulnizam flanking the wings to provide support for the team’s attacking play. However, Eagles soon lost possession of the ball and the Protectors did not hesitate to take advantage. The counter-attacking play was initiated by a long ball to Mendy who found himself with plenty of time and space. The defenders came flooding back but it was too late and Mendy gave Home United it’s fourth goal of the match after a neat finish into Yazid Yasin’s bottom left-hand corner.

On 78th minute, Mendy then got his second goal after smashing the ball into the top right hand corner after another counter-attack by Home United.

On the 83rd minute, Mendy’s height once again proved too much for the defense after he scored a header from Shi Jia Yi’s freekick.

2 minutes later, Home United then got their seventh goal of the match after substitute Indra Sahan split GUFC’s defense with a sublime pass to Fredric Mendy. Mendy then unleashed an audacious chip over Yazid Yasin to send Bishan Stadium into a loud rapture.

Even though the Eagles have already conceded 7 goals, they were still as iron-willed as ever as Kaplan managed to get the Eagles a consolation goal in the final minute of the game with a fine looping strike. Before that, Prime League striker Danial Razali also went close with a header but Home United’s keeper Nazri Sabri managed a last-ditch save.

Even though we’ve lost by a heavy margin, we’ve played some excellent football as well! Don’t give up Eagles!

Pictures of the game can be found here!


Join us on Facebook

Like Us

Follow us on Twitter