Geylang International FC

Geylang International hold the Warriors at bay


A regular Tuesday night was graced by a Great Eastern Yeo’s S-league 2013 match-up between 2 evenly matched teams on the 6th of August. This time it was Geylang International FC heading up against Warriors FC at the Choa Chu Kang stadium.

With the Eagles held at the Jurong East stadium by a shaky Albirex side, Geylang International were looking to get back to winning form with a victory over a side just one spot below them on the table. 3 points in the fixture would also see the Eagles increase the points gap between Warriors and themselves by 5 points and also jumping one spot above Brunei DPMM.

Warriors FC were on the back of a defeat against Home United FC in the previous fixture and the Eagles knew that the time was right to strike a shock win against their opposition even if they had home advantage.

The game started with the Eagles approaching the game with a defensive approach, as they moved forward cautiously, well aware of the Warriors’ attacking threat. Although this strategy worked well defensively, it also increased the pressure from the Warrior’s as the opposition poured attackers forward.

Takuma Ito, the Eagles’ shotstopper, was putting in a good shift as he managed to pull off great saves as well as organizing his defence to prevent any holes from appearing in the backline. Another player particularly standing out in the backline of Geylang International was the Number 7 player, Norihiro Kawakami. The 26-year old defender was proving to be very effective as he constantly put in last ditch tackles and took aerial defending to a whole new level.

Despite coming under constant pressure from the Warriors’, the Eagles were able to deliver lobbed passing to the forwards who made incisive runs into the Warrior’s penalty area. Jozef Kaplan and Yasir Hanapi were a thorn in the Warriors’ side as they constantly found the empty spaces to receive passes.

As the half-time whistle blew, both sides were still level at 0-0 and entered the dressing rooms with the coaches ready to deliver their team talks.

The second half saw Geylang International FC pushing out of defence on more occasions as they attempted to shock the home side. Good and snappy passing saw the Eagles break the Warriors’ defence down on multiple occasions.

The Eagles’ were also looking dangerous on set pieces such as free kicks close to the penalty area and the corner kicks. Deep crosses were delivered to the far post where the Geylang attackers were crowding around, desperate to get a head or foot to the ball. However, Hassan Sunny was on hand for the Warriors’ to deny them the goal.

Key substitutions at the right time maintained the energy levels of the Eagles’ as they were powering through the 90 minutes both offensively and defensively. Frustration did creep in amongst both sides as they clearly needed a win to maintain their pursuit of a top 6 finish. However, due to the stellar performances from both sets of defenders, both teams could not find the winner.

In the end, the Warriors were held by the Eagles at the CCK stadium with a score of 0-0, as both teams shared a point each.

Join us on Facebook

Like Us

Follow us on Twitter