Geylang International FC

Controversy sees the Protectors edge Eagles out in fiery affair


Cool crisp weather conditions were accompanied by the Great Eastern Yeo’s S-league 2013 match-up between Home United FC and Geylang International FC at the Bishan stadium on the 4th of July 2013.

Home United FC was having a relatively mellow season as they sat comfortably on the 4th spot of the table. Just off a draw with Tanjong Pagar, the Protectors knew that they had to clock in wins as soon as possible to get a higher finish in the table. Apoint adrift from Tanjong Pagar FC and only above Balestier Khalsa FC on goal difference, 3 points was a must for the protectors at their home ground.

Geylang International FC were having a great end of the season as they racked up good wins against teams like Harimau Muda and mustering a draw before the break with a strong Balestier Khalsa FC. Once rooted near the bottom of the table, the Eagles had soared higher and now floated at the 9th spot, waiting on the teams above as they were within a point or two.

They faced a tough challenge going against Home United, but they could take comfort in the fact that their form was certainly on the upward scale as they came into the fixture.

The game started with relatively mellow pace, as both teams started the game rather lethargically. Both sides were giving possession away cheaply and could barely muster up an attack. Home United were making use of their wings as they sprayed passes to the wing, with the wingbacks sprinting forward to support the attack.

Geylang International FC were quite content on sitting back and absorbing the attacks as they looked to hit the protectors on the counter attack, and nearly doing so with the pacy forwards. The eagles had some chances to hit hard on the counter as poor finishing thwarted their efforts.

Home United FC were also looking very dangerous on set piece efforts as free kicks from 20-30 yards were bent dangerously inside the Eagle’s 6-yard box. However, due to the sheer number of white shirts in the penalty box, the eagles successfully defended the dangerous set piece efforts.

The breakthrough came in the 33th minute as once again the Eagles struck gold on the counter. A quick counter attack saw the Home United defence completely bypassed as Jozef Kaplan found himself one on one with the goalkeeper. Shouts of offside were heard from the Home United players, but the flag remained down as Jozef Kaplan composed himself and hit it hard and low past the goalkeeper, giving the lead to the Eagles.

Having conceded the goal, Home United went forward with higher intensity to find the equalizer before the break, but couldn’t as stout defending from the Geylang backline saw the score remain at 1-0 till the half time whistle blew.

The second half began with a different vibe to it. The Home United side were the ones out of the tunnel faster as they showed their hunger to get the equalizer through their sharper passes and high aggressiveness.

The Eagles were in full defensive as they attempted to form a solid defence to lock out any offense from the home team. Home united has turned it on as they became the side that dictated the flow of the game well.

The constant pressure soon told and the equalizer was found in the 74th minute. It was through a great controversy as the referee pointed to the spot awarding Home United the penalty as a player tumbled in the penalty box. Lee Kwan Yew dispatched the spot kick relatively easily as the home crowd found their voices once again.

The goal had clearly dampened the spirits of the Eagles, as the Protectors continued dominating possession and were continuously looking like the side that would finish the game stronger, and get the winning goal.

Another deadly attack by the home side was rewarded as Home United found the net once again in just five minutes from scoring the equalizer. A lofted ball from midfield found its way to the head of Kwon Dakyung as his looping header sailed over the Eagles shot stopper and into the back of the net.

The Eagles had to push and push they did as they threw bodies forward in an attempt to find a last ditch equalizer. Jozef Kaplan had a golden chance to be the hero in the final few minutes as he dived in to hit a cross into the net but failed as his attempt bounded wide.

In the end, it was the Home United boys who came out on top in a very evenly contested match, with a score line of 2-1.

Join us on Facebook

Like Us

Follow us on Twitter